Wednesday, November 1, 2017

The Bronte sisters

I read Wuthering Heights in 2005, but it was only last year that I returned to the Bronte sisters by reading Charlotte Bronte's novel Jane Eyre. I have to admit that the latter was much more to my taste than the former. I think one reason that spurred me on to reading Charlotte's most famous novel was that at the time, on my favourite soap opera EastEnders, one of the characters was studying that novel for her GCSEs in English literature. I thoroughly enjoyed Jane Eyre. I therefore went on to read, and equally enjoy, Charlotte Bronte's other, less celebrated but to my mind of comparable quality, works viz. Villette; Shirley and The Professor. What is most interesting, to me, about this authoress (as she would have called herself, using as she does, the feminine forms of many occupations, forms little used nowadays, and more's the pity, such as authoress, directress and instructress) is that so much of her apparently fictional writings are so grounded in her own experiences, and can thus be described as partly - or significantly - autobiographical. 

Having studied the works of both Emily and Charlotte, I've now begun to read the novels of the third, the youngest, and perhaps least celebrated Brone sister, viz. Anne Bronte. At the moment, I'm into the opening chapters of her own largely autobiographical short novel Agnes Grey, in which the eponymous heroine recounts her experiences as a governess in 19th-century England, the incidents and feelings she describes reflecting those of Anne Bronte herself. 

The use of English language by the Bronte sisters is a delight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment