Thursday, November 9, 2017

Doras DCU Open access

Just a quick note, before I hit the hay - the Dublin City University DORAS website provides open access to DCU researchers' output, including articles, books, theses and dissertations. If you log on to doras.dcu.ie and type the names of an author or topic into the search fields you will be provided with immediate and unrestricted access to relevant research outputs. So, for instance, my M.A. dissertation on the translations of the novels of JK Rowling into French is on DORAS, as well as my monograph, an online journal article on translation theory and my doctoral thesis on Verne retranslation into English. 
And on another note, again related to academic research: next week at Griffith College Dublin's Institute of Language where I currently lecture in English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and General English (to speakers of other languages), from lower levels up to advanced and proficiency, I am about to give some lectures on citing and referencing according to the Harvard style. For those interested in learning more about this topic, I would recommend two excellent authoritative sources: one, the DCU Library's section on training and resources; the other, the Anglia Ruskin university's online guide to citing and bibliography construction. As my colleague Dr Simon A. Thomas puts it, citing, referencing, paraphrasing and summarizing are all planks against plagiarism, enabling researchers to acknowledge the work of others in their writings and to giver the sources of the ideas they refer to, through direct or reported speech. Following a lecture on avoidance of plagiarism charges, students will be give various practical tasks to complete on how to cite and reference, how to summarize, how to evaluate other writings to decide if they display plagiarism or not and how to paraphrase. These tasks are taken from EAP course books published by Cambridge University Press. 
I'm really enjoying my lecturing work at Griffith College and my ongoing research into Verne studies, literary studies and translation studies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment