Monday, April 19, 2010

Competition Result: competition number 2.

And so, Kirk has done it again! Within a few minutes of the second competition being posted to this blog, earlier this afternoon, our last winner, Countdown champion Kirk Bevins, 23 year old maths teacher from York, immediately and correctly spotted the ten anagrams and emailed me the answers, which are as follows:

  1. TRANSLATE
  2. RENDERING
  3. EMBELLISH
  4. EXPLICATE
  5. NORMATIVE
  6. CAUSATION
  7. CAUSALITY
  8. INTERPRET
  9. MODIFYING
  10. REDUCTION (but, as Kirk pointed out, an alternative answer would be INTRODUCTION, but he opted for REDUCTION given that I was looking for a Translation Theory term, and he got it right, though I would have accepted INTRODUCTION also). But how might I propose a link between 'introduction' and Translation?

Congratulations, Kirk. Can he make it a hat trick when I post the next anagram competition in a few week's time? Another copy of Around the World in Eighty Days shall be winging its way to York this week, except this time - gasp - it's a translation by Jacqueline Rogers. I'm sure Kirk can't wait. Tell you what - next time I shall try to vary the competition format, as i've previously promised on this blog, i.e. I will include literary quiz questions and numbers games.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, a gremlin slipped into the above posting. Where I said 'INTRODUCTION', I meant 'INTRODUCE'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harriett, Many thanks for your comment. Sadly, I have not yet learned to read Chinese lettering, and as I would love to read your contribution, I am writing to ask if you wouldn't mind reposting it in English?
    I'm grateful for your support of my blog and hope you will keep reading and commenting.
    Best wishes,
    Kieran.

    ReplyDelete