Saturday, September 30, 2017

Current reading material

So, as usual, I've got a few books on the go at the moment: 

Still reading Sebastian Barry's novel Days Without End (2016); Amélie Nothomb's Biographie de la Faim (2003) (translated into English as A Life of Hunger) and Charlotte Bronte's Shirley (mid 19th-century) which I just treated myself to yesterday - it was payday - and have recently finished reading the French translation of Stephen King's contemporary horror classic The Shining. All the foregoing books are very enjoyable but I would say my two favourites from this list are Nothomb and Bronte. Both are superb stylists, the former in French, the latter in English. They are both worth reading for their use of language alone - though content is equally engrossing. To be at the start of a Bronte novel - a rare and thereby precious gem - is an unparalleled delight. 

I still haven't begun reading Margaret Atwood's 1985 dystopian classic The Handmaid's Tale, currently adapted as an acclaimed TV series which I haven't seen as yet either, but will hopefully get stuck in before too long. I'd also like to read - in the same science-fiction (or anticipation?) apocalyptic genre, a book I saw yesterday in Chapters' Bookstore in Parnell Street Dublin, viz. PD James's The Children of Men. 

I recently completed the translation from French into English of a French novel from 1929 for a private client - the translation is due to be published next year. I can't say anything more about it for now, owing to client confidentiality but all will be revealed in the fullness of time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment